Our History, Our Equipment
History: Although museum records show a local fire brigade in Ephrata as far back as 1911, the Ephrata Fire Department was formally organized in 1937 after a devastating fire wiped out most a downtown city block. Interested community members built a fire engine in the shop at Greenlee's Garage on Basin Street. The first fire station was located behind the current US Bureau of Reclamation building on C St NW.
The fire department grew and occupied a new fire station in the early fifties at the site of the current Public Library. In 1982, the City hired a Fire Marshal, Ron Renken. 1987, the current fire station was built at 800 A St SE, and the first career Fire Chief, James R. "Ron" Burns was hired to oversee the operation of the growing agency.
Ron Burns retired in 2003, and his son, then-Assistant Chief Jeremy Burns, was given the nod to assume the role of Chief.
Today's Ephrata Fire Department is the second largest municipal fire agency in Grant County, and answers an average of 395 requests for help each year.
Return to EFD home page