CRIME PREVENTION SAFETY TIPS
The Ephrata Police Department strives to provide the citizens we serve with information that can help prevent them from becoming victims of crime.
PROTECT YOUR CAR: Tips to help prevent theft and damage.
SECURE YOUR HOME: Install crime resistant locks.
Prevent window entry.
- Use window key locks (keep the keys in locks for quick exit in case of fire.
- For double hung windows, drill holes (at downward angle) through the top of corners at the inside sash and the bottom corners of the outside sash. Insert nails, pins, or bolts.
- Consider placing grates on the basement and first floor windows. Check local fire codes first.
- Consider an alarm system.
Crime-proof outside areas.
- Keep yard, porch and entrances well lit at night. Look into motion detection lighting.
- Store tools, toys, etc. after each use.
- Never hide keys outside your home.
- Get a guard dog or at least a Beware of Dog sign.
Get to know your neighbors.
- Get to know each other's schedules so you can be aware when something is not a normal pattern.
- Cooperate in keeping an eye on neighborhood homes.
Use preventative measures when traveling away from home.
- Inform a trusted neighbor of your travel plans
- Have someone collect your mail, newspapers, and other deliveries while you are away.
- Do not share your plans with strangers.
- Leave shades and blinds in their normal positions to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Use timing devices on lighting (two or more areas in the home).
- For extended absences, consider hiring a trusted house sitter.
- File an Extra Patrol request with the Ephrata Police Department by completing a REQUEST FOR SECURITY CHECKS.
- Lock doors and roll up windows
- Keep valuables out of sight
- Park in well lit areas
- NEVER pick up strangers
Walking, Biking and Jogging
- Avoid isolated areas (espcially after dark).
- Walk with confidence and another person if possible
- Do not carry a lot of cash or valuables
- Vary your route
- Stay alert
Answering the door or telephone
- Keep the door closed
- Install a peephole in the door
- Never let a stranger into your home for any reason
- Ask service people for identification
- Telephone the company to verify unexepcted service calls
- Do not give any information to strangers or wrong numbers
- Never give your home address or personal information to persons on the telephone
- Hang up on obscene callers and/or people who do not identify themselves
- Use the *57 tracing method to trace harassing calls
- If callers make threatening statements, contact the police
General safety rules while in public places
- Always approach your car or your home with keys in hand
- If you are suspicious of a person or circumstance, go immediately to a safe place
- Contact police or security if you need help
- Carry your wallet in your front pocket or an inside jacket pocket to thwart pickpockets
- Hold your purse firmly and secure the clasp. Never leave your purse unattended.